Who Are We?
St Peter's is an evangelical Anglican church, sharing God's love at the heart of Chester's CITY CENTRE
We enjoy many different worship styles throughout the week, from our weekly worship services on a Sunday morning and Tuesday lunchtime, to 3rd Space therapeutic workshops, to Night Church's fortnightly sacred space, to enjoying fellowship at our 6 day a week cafe.
Although we do a lot in the week, at the heart of all we do, is the desire to give space for people to connect with Jesus.
“Hello! We are a community made up of many communities all with the passion and desire to share God’s grace, hope and life at the heart of Chester!”
— Jonathan Phillips, Priest in charge
This could take a while but hold with us, our history is beautiful.
St. Peter's is situated at the crossing of the four main streets of Chester, Eastgate, Northgate, Watergate and Bridge Streets - and is built on the foundation of the Roman Headquarters. The walls of the Parish follow the Roman City Walls, making St. Peter's the church truly at the heart of the city.
Æthelflæd, the daughter of King Alfred the Great, founded the church in 907AD and it has remained a place of Christian Worship since that date.
The building itself is almost square. It is divided by three stone arches which date from the 15th Century and which form four lateral naves. In one of the pillars there is a niche which, before the Reformation probably held a statue of the virgin and child. Around this niche can be seen a fresco painted before the Reformation, but which was obliterated in 1646 at the time of the Civil War. It is possible to make out scenes of the Nativity and of the crucifixion.
There are six bells in the belfry. In the 1820's, one of these bells was used to call out the fire brigade.
The stained glass windows on the East Wall represent, in the centre, the Crucifixion and the denial of Peter; to the left; the Last Supper; and to the right;
The Ascension. These windows were installed to commemorate the life of Prince Albert, the husband of Queen Victoria. All the windows were installed in the 1860's and cost the princely sum of £164.
The Galleries are also Victorian (1849), but there were galleries in the church as far back as 1640. Originally there was a third one on the west wall to accommodate musicians.
The organ was installed in 1888 and reconditioned in 1961. At the back of the Church, next to the Font, there is a bowl on a pedestal. This is believed to be the font used for baptisms for two hundred years from 1660.
Behind the the altar there is very fine Reredos, or altar screen, carved and installed in 1905.